Meeting – Tuesday 24th September

Our monthly meeting is on Tuesday and all cyclists are welcome – 8pm to 9:30pm in the Hornbeam Centre, 458 Hoe Street, E17 9AH

Agenda

Introductions

Appointment of minute taker.

Review of previous meeting minutes

Please read the previous meeting minutes in advance if you want to comment on them (we won’t read them in the meeting). Previous meeting minutes are saved here. Items to discuss:

  • Any items we need to discuss (which aren’t covered in the rest of the meeting)?
  • Any comments/corrections?

Campaigning, Outreach and LCC (8:05)

  • How can we change the meetings so they are more interesting and less male dominated and infrastructure heavy?
  • Delivery riders, reaching out and supporting – Vin (8:25)
  • Do we want to claim the £180 for Ride London? Fred has initially said no, as we do not need the money for our budgeted activities and LCC are able to invest in more ride leader training if we don’t take it.
  • Waltham Forest Town Hall regeneration – response letter sent (deadline was yesterday).
  • August Summer social – feedback. We should do more like that…
  • The LCC AGM will take place on Wednesday 16th October in the evening
  • Any confusion about Slack, and would anyone like to  join? https://wfcycling.slack.com

WFCC Rides (8:30)

  • Ride leader report back
  • Bikely is no more – Any volunteers to help update the website?
  • Cards for riders with contact details

Barriers to cycling – how can we make cycling accessible to everyone in WF? (8:40)

  • Group discussion
  • From Facebook – How to help families with learning disabled children (in particular) enjoy cycling. That means investment in the same sort of training opportunities currently available for non disabled children and a range of bikes usable by those families with kids who’ll never be able to ride independently, eg tandems with adaptable passenger bits. At the moment provision is very ad hoc.
  • Caroline – Details to include when posting a ride to make them more inclusive.  Draft here. Discussion of points people think should be included, for instance:
    • Time starting and returning
    • Cafe break?
    • Destination
    • Level suitable for 
    • Distance
    • Types of roads (e.g. busy/ quiet/offroad)?
    • Who would like to work with Caroline to develop this further, for full discussion in October’s meeting?

Council Liaison (8:50)

  • Council Liaison Report
  • Who is it best to talk to about cycling numbers/training in Leytonstone? Is there less happening currently and if so how can we improve it?
  • How is it best to discuss tackling illegal parking in cycling lanes with the council? Proposals for this e.g. employ more enforcement officers, have them travel by bike e.g. the council’s own electric bikes so they get around quicker.

Feedback on any other Waltham Forest issues (9:00)

  • Maintenance and enforcement – feedback from group – how’s it going raising concerns about infrastructure to council?

Any other business – 5 mins

  • Any nice pics of cycling round the car free roads for social media? Please send them in!

​Informal chatting – 5 mins

Next meeting – October 22nd, same time same place

London Cycling Data Project

Sushil and Stewart will present an updated briefing on the LCDP after the main meeting. It’s likely to take up to half an hour.

Any additional items for the agenda please comment below, or email contact@wfcycling.org.uk

WFCC is part of the London Cycling Campaign, the world’s largest urban cycling organisation. You don’t need to be an LCC member to attend our meetings, but if you like what we do please consider joining LCC to help support our work. Members also receive discounts in many bike shops, insurance and other benefits.

About Fred

Chair of Waltham Forest Cycling Campaign (WFCC). WFCC part of London Cycling Campaign, the world’s largest urban cycling organisation. You don't need to be an LCC member to attend our meetings, but if you like what we do please consider joining LCC to help support our work. Members also receive discounts in many bike shops, insurance and other benefits.
This entry was posted in Meetings and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Meeting – Tuesday 24th September

  1. Fred says:

    Comment from Facebook:

    Can’t make it to meeting unfortunately but would love there to be more focus on how to help families with learning disabled children (in particular) enjoy cycling. That means investment in the same sort of training opportunities currently available for non disabled children and a range of bikes usable by those families with kids who’ll never be able to ride independently, eg tandems with adaptable passenger bits. At the moment provision is very ad hoc.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.