Waltham Forest Cycling Campaign encourages people to cycle, and campaigns for better and safer streets for cycling. The group is entirely run by volunteers, from those able to give their time occasionally to committee members working throughout the year to keep the group running.
Your local group needs you!
This group is a great opportunity to be involved in the community, learn about campaigning and better cycling, and/or run events. We’re always looking for people to help so no matter how much time you’re able to put in, so if you have some time to spare we would love to hear from you.
There are lots of different ways to help, you don’t have to be a member of London Cycling Campaign and it would help us and cycling in Waltham Forest greatly.
- Volunteer ride leaders and marshalls
- Running stalls, events and leafleting
- Reviewing proposals, consultations and drafting responses
- Social media and communications
- Joining the committee and helping run the group (see below)
- and lots more!
Joining the Committee
If you’re interested in helping run the group you may want to stand for one of the committee post including coordinator, chair, secretary or treasurer. Note that these roles are only open to LCC members, however our other roles and volunteering opportunities are open to everyone.
Coordinate the group’s activities including rides and events, campaigns, lobbying, council liaison and communications, including:
- The official local contact for LCC
- Coordinates between the LCC office and the Waltham Forest group, relaying messages and reporting to LCC
- Updates the group at the monthly meetings
- Attends quarterly Local Groups Forum at the LCC office
It could be an excellent opportunity for personal and career development. Management, communication, street design and engineering, political lobbying, effective governance, experience running events and engaging with the public are just some of the valuable experience and skills you may gain. The coordinator receives support and mentoring through support from the LCC office as well as local group committee members.
The role would suit somebody who is;
- Enthusiastic about cycling and committed to LCC’s aims and principles
- Organised and able to plan ahead
- A good communicator who can get on with a variety of people from all backgrounds
Chairs the monthly and annual meetings. This includes drafting the agenda, making sure everyone’s voice is heard and trying to make sure everything is covered in the allotted time.
In addition to the work in the meeting, the chair will often draft letters and responses to consultations on behalf of the group.
Takes the minutes of the meetings to record key points, decisions and actions. The minutes are typed and emailed to the chair who brings copies to the subsequent meeting.
If possible the minutes should be circulated within 1-2 weeks of the meeting. For the annual meeting there is likely to be more to cover and should be circulated within 3-4 week of the meeting.
Maintain a cashbook, write cheques, bank cash, drafts an annual budget and reports to the Annual Meeting. This role does not require a significant time input but is essential to the running of the group.
Email email@example.com to find out more about any of these roles.