We campaign for better infrastructure and safer cycling in Waltham Forest and beyond. Our campaigning is entirely run by volunteers, to get involved please visit our ‘get involved’ page!
Waltham Forest Campaigning
We regularly respond to consultations and comment on planning permissions likely to affect cycling in the borough. This includes major cycling schemes like the mini-Holland schemes (see below) and the newer Liveable Neighbourhood schemes, as well as smaller local improvements. We encourage cyclists to also comment individually on schemes they are interested in.
A high proportion of people in the borough live in accommodation which lacks anywhere to safely store a bicycle. We have been supporting the introduction of on-street bike hangars for safe and convenient bike storage for local residents. If you know of places where cycle parking is needed, please email the council at email@example.com with the details.
We are also working with the council in a number of other areas which we believe are critical in order to deliver a step change increase in the number of residents undertaking cycle journeys, including a borough wide 20mph zone, plus junction improvements, and cycle contraflow facilities on one way streets.
Waltham Forest is one of three London boroughs to have been awarded around £30m ‘Mini Holland‘ funding years to deliver a step change in conditions for those who cycle and walk, with ideas taken from continental approaches to design. We worked with the council on developing the funding bid, and now a substantial amount of our resources are being devoted to supporting and holding the council to account on this project, including via regular ‘stakeholder’ meetings, development of the overarching design principles, involvement in the design phase of specific schemes to ensure the best possible outcomes for cyclists and everyone, and supporting communication between the council and our membership and other cyclists in the borough. Click here for more information from WFCC about Mini Holland.
At the 2016 mayoral election, the LCC’s Sign for Cycling campaign secured commitments for major improvements for cycling in London. Sadiq Khan committed to:
- Triple the amount of protected space for cycling on main roads and at junctions
- A mini Holland in every borough, to share the success from Waltham Forest across London
- Action to end lorry danger once and for all
We are now pushing for the mayor to deliver the improvements promised.
In addition we have the following ongoing campaigns:
- ‘Space for Cycling‘ is a major London Cycling Campaign push to improve the quality of life for all, by making local streets safe and inviting for everyone to cycle.
- Safer Lorries, Safer Cycling campaign. We are delighted that Waltham Forest Council was one of the very first boroughs to sign the LCC pledge early in 2013.
- London Cycling Campaign: pro-cycling policies & measures
- London Cycling Design Standards (Tfl)
- International Cycling Infrastructure Best Practice Study (Tfl)
- London Borough of Waltham Forest Cycle Action Plan 2012 – 2015
- Working Together to Promote Active Travel, A briefing for local authorities (Public Health England)